You have chosen to become a security guard in “Piffers Security Services Pvt. Ltd. You need to know the basics
so that you can work safely and carry out your duties in a professional way. The law in Piffers Security Services says that you must receive at least 40 hours of training. This course covers all the important areas needed for this basic training. It was designed to help you pass the provincial exam and earn your security guard certificate.
The course is written directly to you, the user, in workbook style. This means that you should actively work in the book. Feel free to underline important ideas, write comments in the white spaces, and answer questions right in the book. This will help you remember the information better than if you just read it. This workbook is written in plain language, and it has a number of study aids to help you learn the material.
Before the content of each unit you will find
• a list of the objectives for the unit. These are the main things that you will learn in the unit.
• a pre-test so you can see how much you already know about the material in the unit.
• a list of some of the more difficult words in the unit and an exercise to practice the words.
• a study tip.
• an outline of what’s coming up in the unit.
In the middle of the unit there are
• check ups so you can see how well you have learned the material in the unit.
At the end of each unit you will find
• a review of the important points from the unit.
• a test-taking tip.
• a practice test on the material from the unit. The tests are set up in the same style as the provincial exam.
This workbook is not intended to replace professional trainers. If there is anything you do not understand, be sure to let your trainer know. Trainers have the experience to help bring this material to life and to provide you with valuable examples from the security industry. When you start working as a guard, you will gain your own important on-the job experience. You may also want to take other courses such as First Aid or Conflict Resolution to increase your skills and help protect yourself and others as you perform